What is the Commuter Challenge?
It is a free and easy way to challenge your colleagues and your community to ride more while competing in a local level with other businesses. The Commuter Challenge provides a way to promote teamwork within your business, create a healthier workplace and get people excited about bicycling.
Why Participate in the Commuter Challenge?
- Fun: This is a team-building experience that will help build camaraderie in the workplace. Participants will work towards a common goal and be able to compete against other businesses in their industry, their region and throughout the country.
- Health: Encouraging participation in the Challenge will help make your workplace healthier!
- Economics: Employees can reduce car maintenance, fuel and parking expenses. Employers will benefit from reduced health care and transportation related costs.
- Environment: Bicycling reduces emissions and greenhouse gases. Nearly 50 percent of all trips in metropolitan areas are three miles or less and 28 percent are one mile or less – distances easily covered by bicycle!
- Promotion: The Challenge is a free and easy way to offer a local/statewide bike competition and participate in the national event. It provides data, healthy competition and a way to promote your organization or business.
- Celebration: Joining the Challenge is a great way to kick off National Bike Month and build relationships within your own business, as well as with local, state, regional and national business communities.
How to Form a Commuter Challenge Team
- First, be sure to sign up as an individual. Click here – http://bikewashoe.org/register/
- Activate your account by following the activation instructions in the email sent to you at the email address you signed up with. Once you activate your account, log-in as an individual.
- Now that you’re logged in, go to “Community” at the top of the screen then click on “Commuter Challenge Teams” to see if your team is already created. Another way to get there is going clicking on this link
- Find your team and click “Join Group”or click “Create a Group” at the top of the page if your business does not have a team created yet. Once created you can invite others to join your team and click on your team’s icon to see the members.
How do I know if a Commuter Challenge Team has been formed for my employer?
- Visit http://bikewashoe.org/commuter-challenge-teams-2/ for a list of Commuter Challenge Teams. Once you have created an account then come back to this page to join a group. You can Join Group (public group) or Request Membership (private group).
- You can also start a Commuter Challenge Team for your organization (see How to Form a Commuter Challenge Team)
How to invite others to join a Commuter Challenge Team?
In order to invite others to join the team, you must be logged in to BikeWashoe.org, already be part of a group and have “BikeWashoe.org member friends” to invite them to that group.
2016 Commuter Challenge Winners
Big Brothers, Big Sisters
84.7 miles logged
Lumos & Associates
306.29 miles logged
Sierra NV Corp
725.82 miles logged
4311.16 miles logged
735.35 miles logged